South Africa Powerball FAQs
If you fancy winning yourself a South Africa Powerball jackpot, then it is easy to play wherever you are in the world via the Lotto Tickets page. This page will answer any queries that you might have about this exciting game.
- When are South Africa Powerball draws held?
- When is the cut-off time for South Africa Powerball ticket sales?
- How do I win a South Africa Powerball prize?
- Can I take part in South Africa Powerball if I live outside of the country?
- When do South Africa Powerball prizes expire?
- Is there a minimum age to play South Africa Powerball?
- Will I pay tax on my South Africa Powerball winnings?
- What odds are there on winning a South Africa Powerball prize?
- What is the minimum South Africa Powerball jackpot?
- Is there a limit to the number of South Africa Powerball rollovers or the size of the jackpot?
- What was the value of the largest ever South Africa Powerball jackpot?
- When will the next South Africa Powerball draw take place?
- How much is the current South Africa Powerball jackpot?
- How much does it cost to buy a South Africa Powerball ticket?
Question: When are South Africa Powerball draws held?
Answer: South Africa Powerball is drawn on Tuesdays and Fridays at 9:00pm UTC+2.
Question: When is the cut-off time for South Africa Powerball ticket sales?
Answer: You must buy your South Africa Powerball tickets by 9pm local time if you are purchasing them from an authorised retailer within South Africa. If you are playing from outside of the country through an online concierge service, then you will have to snap up your entries up to three hours before the draw. The best advice is to check with the service provider before buying tickets.
Question: How do I win a South Africa Powerball prize?
Answer: The minimum requirement for winning a South Africa Powerball prize is to match at least the Powerball, while you can claim the jackpot if you match all five main numbers and the Powerball.
Question: Can I take part in South Africa Powerball if I live outside of the country?
Answer: Players from around the world can take part in the South Africa Powerball fun thanks to online lottery concierge services, which dispatch an agent based in the country to buy your tickets and issue you with a scanned copy. If you strike it lucky and win big, the service will notify you right away so that you can start the process of claiming your prize. Smaller prizes will be paid into your online account.
Question: When do South Africa Powerball prizes expire?
Answer: Prizes must be claimed within 365 days of the winning draw.
Question: Is there a minimum age to play South Africa Powerball?
Answer: You must be at least 18 years old to play South Africa Powerball.
Question: Will I pay tax on my South Africa Powerball winnings?
Answer: You are advised to consult a tax professional about any possible liabilities arising from winning a large South Africa Powerball prize.
Question: What odds are there on winning a South Africa Powerball prize?
Answer: You have a 1 in 18 chance of winning any prize on South Africa Powerball, with odds of 1 in 35 on matching the minimum of the Powerball to win a prize. Winning the jackpot is a 1 in 42,375,200 shot. There is a full list of all of the odds at the South Africa Powerball Prizes page.
Question: What is the minimum South Africa Powerball jackpot?
Answer: South Africa Powerball jackpots start at around R3 million, but this is typically an estimated amount and the final value is based on revenue from ticket sales.
Question: Is there a limit to the number of South Africa Powerball rollovers or the size of the jackpot?
Answer: South Africa Powerball does not have a jackpot cap and can roll over as many times as it takes to find a winner, which often produces huge prizes.
Question: What was the value of the largest ever South Africa Powerball jackpot?
Answer: South Africa Powerball’s jackpot hit R102 million on Friday 3rd June 2011, and was snapped up by a player from the Free State province.
Question: When will the next South Africa Powerball draw take place?
Answer: Your next chance to win a multimillion-Rand prize will be on Friday 27th November 2020 .
Question: How much is the current South Africa Powerball jackpot?
Answer: Next time South Africa Powerball is drawn, you will be playing for R107,000,000.
Question: How much does it cost to buy a South Africa Powerball ticket?
Answer: A single ticket costs R5.
Get answers to common South Africa Powerball questions such as the draw time, when ticket sales close and how to win a prize.
How to Play PowerBall
PowerBall draws take place every Tuesday and Friday evening, offering you the chance to win jackpots that can reach more than R100 million. Discover the latest PowerBall results, as well as information on how to play and the prizes you could win.
PowerBall draws are scheduled for approximately 21:00 on Tuesdays and Fridays, with ticket sales closing 30 minutes before each draw. To play, choose five numbers between 1 and 50, plus a PowerBall number between 1 and 20, with the aim of matching your numbers to the winning ones drawn in the lottery. Here is how to enter PowerBall through a retailer or online:
- Open an online lottery account and deposit funds into it.
- On the first board, choose five numbers between 1 and 50, then one PowerBall number from 1 to 20.
- Repeat for as many boards as you would like to play.
- Select how many draws you want to enter.
- Confirm and pay for your entry.
- Visit any authorised lottery retailer and collect a PowerBall betslip.
- If you would also like to enter PowerBall Plus, check the вЂњPowerBall PlusвЂќ box at the top of the slip.
- Starting with board A, mark five numbers between 1 and 50 in the first grid, and then mark one number between 1 and 20 in the second grid. You can also opt for a random set of numbers by checking the “Quick Pick” box.
- Do the same for as many boards as you want to play.
- Choose the number of draws you would like to enter by marking one of the boxes at the top of the betslip. You do not have to do this if you are entering just one draw.
- Take your betslip to a retail assistant and pay for your entries.
- Write your name on the back of the receipt you are given.
PowerBall entries cost R5 per board, with the supplementary PowerBall Plus game costing an additional R2.50. There are other ways to play PowerBall, including through your cell phone and even through certain participating banks. Visit the How to Play section to find out more.
Prizes and Odds of Winning
You must match all five numbers and the PowerBall to win the jackpot, but you can win a prize even for just matching the PowerBall on its own. The table below shows how many numbers you need to match to win in each prize division, as well as the odds of winning:
|Prize Division||Numbers Matched||Odds of Winning*||Percentage of Prize Pool||Average Prize
for the past 365 days’ draws
|1||5 + PowerBall||1 in 42,375,200||70.73%||R52,204,155.39|
|2||5||1 in 2,230,274||5.19%||R207,539.90|
|3||4 + PowerBall||1 in 188,334||3.25%||R18,018.59|
|4||4||1 in 9,912||5.51%||R1,082.23|
|5||3 + PowerBall||1 in 4,280||6.23%||R516.04|
|6||3||1 in 225||5.19%||R22.28|
|7||2 + PowerBall||1 in 299||3.9%||R22.00|
|8||1 + PowerBall||1 in 57||Fixed R15||R15.00|
|9||PowerBall Only||1 in 35||Fixed R10||R10.00|
|* The overall odds of winning a PowerBall prize are 1 in 18|
The prizes in the eighth and ninth division are fixed at R15 and R10 respectively. The prizes in the upper seven divisions are pari-mutuel, meaning each division receives a percentage of the total Prize Pool. Fixed prizes are paid out first, with the remainder of the Prize Pool divided between the seven other divisions according to the percentages in the table. The value of a prize in these divisions can vary, depending on how many winners there are and how much money is in the Prize Pool.
Do you think youвЂ™ve won a PowerBall prize? Visit the How to Claim page to find out more about claiming prizes, whether you played online, with your bank or through a retailer.
Find out more about PowerBall in the frequently asked questions below. Visit the general FAQs page for more information about playing lotteries in South Africa.
The winning PowerBall numbers are drawn at approximately 21:00 every Tuesday and Friday.
PowerBall draws take place every Tuesday and Friday evening, offering you the chance to win jackpots that can reach more than R100 million! Find out more here.